After your beard has grown in for about a month or so, it’s best to shape it accordingly.
As simple as the above statement may seem, there is actually a lot that you need to do as a beardsman in order to make your prized beard look on point as opposed to an unruly mess.
Therefore, we wanted to put together these 8 tips that will help for a better shaped beard that just about any expert beardsman would agree on:
- 1. Let The Professionals Handle It
- 2. Pick A Beard Style That Compliments Your Face
- 3. Pick The Right Beard Style For Your Hair
- 4. The Right Tools For Trimming Or Cleaning Up Your Beard
- 5. Proper Conditioning To Help With The Texture Of Your Beard
- 6. Don’t Use A Standard Soap – It Will Cause Dryness For Your Beard Follicles
- 7. A Beard Comb To Maintain The Perfect Shape Of Your Beard
- Keys To A Better Beard Shape Is Within Your Control
1. Let The Professionals Handle It
For many it can be pretty tempting to trim your beard yourself, especially for the first-time beard growers out there.
But to be quite honest, it’s incredibly easy to mess up your lines when looking in to the mirror.
Barbers are professionals, and do this sort of shaping up daily for a living.
Also, letting a barber clean up your beard will make it easier for you to just do the clean-up work between visits with your favorite beard trimmer, cartridge razor, etc.
2. Pick A Beard Style That Compliments Your Face
When it comes to shaping your beard, you want to find a shape and style that compliments your face.
Therefore, if you have a circular face, you will want to get a beard style that is more tapered (i.e. V style) rather than one that’s a bit boxy.
Most importantly it has to do with symmetry of your face and how other see you.
You don’t want to have an over-weight face of facial hair that just doesn’t ‘look right’.
Here are some great styles from Birchbox that should provide a little further guidance to defining the best beard shape for your face.
Now beyond the actual shape of your beard, you also want to consider the length of it as well.
Too long of a beard can appear to many as being a bit unwieldy and just generally ‘wild’. Whereas a shorter beard (i.e. above the adams apple), can exude more of an orderly and in-tact look.
So take careful consideration on what your beard goals are and how they might affect your daily lifestyle (i.e. lots of client meetings in an office environment, then a shorter beard may be better for you).
3. Pick The Right Beard Style For Your Hair
Whether you are completely bald or have a thick head of hair, you want to be sure that you pick a beard shape that also compliments your hair.
Just like with your face shape, the symmetry and weight is really important here.
For the bald headed men out there, you want to go with a bit shorter of a beard.
Sure, there is nothing stopping you from growing a yeard, but for many, an incredibly long beard on a bald guy will be way off when it comes to weight of features on your head.
Contrary, if you have a full head of hair, you do have a bit more styling options when it comes to beard length.
From a short stubble to a full yeard, you really have full reign of creativity – so have fun with it!
4. The Right Tools For Trimming Or Cleaning Up Your Beard
If you plan on taking the task of cleaning up your beard yourself, there are a few tools that will be critical for your arsenal.
Here’s the essentials:
If you are growing a longer beard, then the best tool is definitely going to be a pair of quality shears.
Shears (or scissors), provide unparalleled control when it comes to define and maintaining the shape of your beard.
Unlike other tools (which we will cover in just a minute), shears are perfect for getting an incredibly clean cut on the follicle and are perfect for curing any pesky split ends.
If you are leaning towards more of a stubble look on your face, then a quality beard trimmer will go a long way.
Beard trimmers are great for many reasons.
First and foremost, you can set the guard to your desired length and maintain a short beard/stubble style indefinitely – no visit to the barbershop is necessary.
Secondly, the guard on beard trimmers will help to ensure that the blade never touches the surface of your skin. Therefore, if you get severe irritation on your neck when making a pass with a razor, you can kiss this annoyance goodbye.
One downfall for a beard trimmer is that it doesn’t do a great job in styling and shaping for men with longer beards. The reason being is that simply the trimmer is too heavy and will be tough for getting those exact lines that you prefer when compared to shears.
- The integrated vacuum system catches up to 90% of cut hair for less mess. The high-velocity motor and fan system creates powerful suction to lift and capture hairs
- With innovative lift & trim technology, the trimmer effectively lifts and guides hairs for a more efficient cut
- The self-sharpening steel blades are designed to effectively cut each hair perfectly, preventing skin irritation, and are double sharpened to cut more hairs in every pass for faster trimming
- The trimmer offers 20 built-in length settings, so you can select your preferred trim length by simply turning the zoom wheel until the length you want is displayed from 0.5mm - 10mm
- Advanced lithium-ion battery delivers maximum power for high performance cutting. Charge your beard trimmer for 1 hour to get 80 minutes of cordless use. It can also be used while charging
Cartridge Razor / Double Edge Safety Razor / Electric Shaver
When it comes to cleaning up your lines between barbershop visits any popular type of shaving tool will do just fine to remove the hair completely.
Razors will be perfect for getting the areas outside of your beard completely void of any follicles. Just don’t forget to double it down with a quality shaving cream for ultimate comfort.
Beard Shaping Tool
A beard shaping tool is perfect for men who like to do things themselves when it comes to cleaning up their cheek or neck lines.
With its unique curved design, the beard shaping tools multiple uses will ensure that you get the exact same results every single time.
For men out there with yeards, these types of beard shaping tools may provide little utility for the neck area as it could be hard to see through the bush.
Otherwise, for short bearded men, this could be the perfect answer for at-home grooming!
- GROOMARANG THE BIGGEST NAME IN BEARD CARE - .With Over 10000+ Positive Reviews Groomarang Is An Established international Brand. As always our first priority is to provide our customers with the very best quality products. This is why we always look to utilise the most advanced technologies to ensure we are always leading the market!
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN- The two sized teeth comb design ensures that any size beard can be tamed and styled effortlessly. They also help to glide beard oil through the hairs. The brush ends provides the ideal clean up solution, ridding yourself of any stray off cuts.
- DIRECTIONS FOR USE- Groomarang Beard Comb used for Neck Line, Cheek Line, Jaw Line and Goatee. Full clear and easy to full instructions provided
5. Proper Conditioning To Help With The Texture Of Your Beard
If you have a short conservative beard style or one that is incredibly long, it’s important that you condition your beard on a regular basis.
Regular conditioning will help to ensure that there are no tangles or split ends.
This will help to get an accurate shape on your beard when going through the cutting process.
The mixture of ingredients found within these products including carrier oils, essential oils, butters (shea or cocoa), along with beeswax will help to keep both your beard and skin highly conditioned.
Reviews of the following beard conditioning products can be found here:
6. Don’t Use A Standard Soap – It Will Cause Dryness For Your Beard Follicles
Beyond daily conditioning of your beard, you also want to use a proper soap on your face. This will further help to have your beard maintain its perfect shape.
Beard soaps, much like a beard conditioning agent, will compliment your skin and beard. Once you are out of the shower, you will instantly notice just how much softer your beard will feel after a thorough washing.
7. A Beard Comb To Maintain The Perfect Shape Of Your Beard
When comparing beard combs vs. beard brushes, the leading difference is going to be styling ability.
If you just left the barber’s chair and want to retain that incredible looking beard, then you will want to make sure that you pick up a beard comb.
Combs provide much more control for maintaining the shape of your beard on a daily basis.
Brushes on the other hand will provide a much more fuller and bushier look.
But you shouldn’t be using just any beard comb, instead, you want to be sure that you use one that has been sawcut and polished. This will ensure that there is no snagging on the follicle when it passes through your glorious mane.
Keys To A Better Beard Shape Is Within Your Control
When incorporating all 7 tips that we outlined above, your beard will look much more presentable and well kempt.
From the right tools to shaping your beard all the way down to conditioning your beard, none of the above tips should be glossed over.
Just remember guys, if you do decide to trim up your beard at home, or have a bad barbershop experience, your beard will grow back.