Biotin deficiency in men can lead to the thinning of hair on both the top of the head and throughout their entire body (source). Therefore, men who may be lacking in this essential vitamin may consider a targeted solution such as a biotin shampoo to help build volume to their thinning hair follicles.
In this guide, we not only review the best biotin shampoos currently available but also share with you some key considerations and warning signs you will want to look out for when buying a new biotin-based shampoo.
In addition to our expert reviews, we also will be answering a few common questions about biotin shampoos.
The 8 Best Biotin Shampoos
1. R+CO DALLAS Thickening Biotin Shampoo for Hair Thickening
- Paraben-free, sulfate-free, and petroleum-free
- Contains biotin, saw palmetto, loquat fruit extract
- Lightweight formula designed for thin hair
Recommended For: Anyone looking for a quality shampoo with biotin that will help slow hair loss and spur hair growth.
Sold in high-end hair studios across the country, R+Co is a premium shampoo brand that delivers salon-quality results. If you want to get the absolute best biotin shampoo and don’t mind spending a premium doing so, then it won’t get any better than this shampoo. Here’s why we think this is a top-notch shampoo to incorporate into your hair care routine:
- Designed for thin and fine hair follicles
Men who are looking to build volume in their thinning hairline will love all the volumizing ingredients added to this bottle. Containing a variety of extracts and vitamins including biotin, pro-vitamin B5, saw palmetto, coconut oil, and loquat fruit extract, you have a natural solution that gradually adds volume with continued use. While the volumizing properties are the main reason you would buy this shampoo, also worth noting is the cleansing properties.
By gently lifting dirt and oils away from your scalp, it does a great job of nourishing the scalp while also reducing your chance of inflammation or dandruff thanks to the gentle formula.
- Ingredients designed to spur hair growth
While building volume is great for naturally thin hair, the inclusion of pro-vitamin B5 and saw palmetto (sereona repens) should help in accelerating hair growth. As covered in a recent study on the NIH website, sereona repens was found to promote hair growth and regeneration (source).
- Socially responsible company provides peace of mind
For those men who are wary of buying a mass-produced shampoo as they are often full of colorants, tested on animals, etc., you will be happy to learn that the R+Co bucks the trend here. This Dallas Biotin Thickening Shampoo is paraben-free, cruelty-free, and petroleum oil-free. Furthermore, for those men with severe allergies, this shampoo is gluten-free and vegan.
- Pricey shampoo isn’t for the faint of heart
If you want salon-quality hair every day, then expect to pay a premium. While most products are priced at about $10 for an 8.5oz bottle, this commands double that.
- Barbershop quality results in a potent formula
- Absent of any preservatives
- Users loved the natural fragrances
- Expensive choice
What You Need To Know
R+Co Dallas Biotin Thickening Shampoo is a trusted brand recommended by barbers and stylists across the country. Relying on an effective blend of ingredients will help to build volume for just about anyone. Although the high cost is something to keep in mind if you use it heavily.
2. OGX Thick & Full Biotin and Collagen Shampoo
- Sold individually and as a set of shampoo and conditioner
- Contains biotin and collagen
- Hydrolyzed wheat proteins strengthen follicles
Recommended For: Men who want to fix their hair by adding volume, nourishment, and strength.
One of the most popular biotin shampoos for hair growth will be the OGX Thick & Full Biotin Collagen Shampoo. There’s a lot to love in this offering from Organix:
- The targeted solution helps build volume
What does this mean for you? A targeted solution that will not only build volume for your hair through the inclusion of biotin and collagen but also a conditioner that will decrease dryness and brittle hair follicles through the use of moisturizing agents.
While the bottles aren’t travel-friendly (13 oz), they are fairly affordable.
- Widely distributed
Available at several online retailers and local retail locations (Ulta, Walmart, Target, Walgreens), Organix Thick & Full Biotin Shampoo will be easy to find when you need to restock.
- Works great for both men and women
- Biotin + collagen combination is effective
- Widely available
- Not travel friendly
What You Need To Know
If you are looking for a shampoo and conditioner combo, then you should consider this offering by Organix. Packed with the right blend of ingredients, this shampoo will help to build volume while also increase your hair strength. Great to use if you have thin hair that requires a boost.
3. Maple Holistics Biotin Shampoo
- Contains biotin, jojoba, coconut, and other vital ingredients
- Made in the USA
- Sulfate-free, paraben-free, cruelty-free
Recommended For: Men who want a mostly natural formula that will work to strengthen hair and reduce dandruff.
If you have a thinning hairline and are looking to bulk or thicken your hair strands, then this biotin shampoo by Maple Holistics can be a great fit for you.
- High concentration of natural ingredients
Relying on a blend of natural ingredients including coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, evening primrose oil, keratin, and of course, biotin, this formula is the perfect combination for those looking for a nearly all-natural solution (96% of the formula contains these ingredients), that doesn’t rely on harsh and irritating chemicals.
- Money-back guarantee
What we liked about this shampoo is that Maple Holistics stands by its product. While the results shared by other men have been convincing, should you not experience the same, you can get a full refund on your purchase.
- Works against dandruff
Men who are experiencing dandruff with their current shampoo will be happy to learn that this shampoo has not only been formulated for hair growth but also dandruff control as well. They can achieve this through the inclusion of tea tree oil which is a natural anti-fungal.
- Size options available
While a travel-friendly size isn’t currently produced, Maple Holistics sells this shampoo in 8oz and 16oz sizes. So if you want to just give this shampoo a test drive, opt for the smaller size.
- Nearly all-natural solution to thicken and volumize hair
- The money-back-guarantee provides peace of mind
- Consumer reviews have been largely positive
- For a shampoo, it’s a bit pricey
What You Need To Know
The bottom line is that this formula targets and washes away scalp and hair impurities with a targeted and natural solution. Available in two sizes and backed by a money-back guarantee, it is a perfect product to test and likely fall in love with.
4. Hask Biotin Boost Shampoo
- A unique compound of biotin, collagen, and caffeine
- Works in several stages for volume and hair growth
- Herbal scent is well received
Recommended For: Anyone who is focusing on building both volume and strength while also trying to save some money.
Claimed to be used on more Hollywood Film & TV Sets than any other shampoo brand is both bold and noteworthy from Hask.
- 3 main ingredients do the heavy lifting
Relying on a blend of several natural ingredients, this unique compound was designed to volumize, strengthen, and fortify your hair. The primary active ingredients within the bottle are biotin, collagen, and caffeine. While biotin and collagen will work hard to add fullness back to your scalp, caffeine is a standout not normally found in many shampoos. Able to increase blood flow, caffeine helps your hair and scalp get the essential nutrients it needs to grow.
- Standout scent
Perhaps the biggest selling point for men wasn’t the results (although they were largely positive), but rather the scent itself. Delivering an invigorating eucalyptus scent, it will smell great when applied to your head daily.
- Clean label
In the eco-revolution, more and more men are deciding to purchase shampoos based on their ingredient label rather than the brand itself. Absent of many suspect ingredients found in the mass-produced brands, Husk is proudly free of sulfates, parabens, phthalates, gluten, and even drying alcohol. And for the animal-loving men out there, this shampoo is also cruelty-free.
- Terrific combo of ingredients
- Trusted and well-reviewed by both men and women
- The invigorating scent smells great
- Repair results may vary
What You Need To Know
When it comes to quality shampoo, this is among the best. Trusted on the heads of Hollywood movie stars, it strikes the perfect balance of natural ingredients. While differences may vary based on a variety of hair factors, the consensus on this shampoo is overwhelmingly positive.
5. Renpure Biotin & Collagen Shampoo for Men
- Contains plant-based cleansers
- Contains no SLS
Recommended For: Men looking to improve hair volume through the use of biotin and collagen.
While biotin is an essential vitamin to promote new hair growth, the addition of collagen to a shampoo formula is equally welcomed. Helping to both strengthen your hair follicles as well as your scalp, collagen will restore your locks to make them feel and look their very best. Furthermore, collagen also helps to add a non-greasy and natural-looking shine that will give your hair a more vibrant look.
- Clean ingredient label
Secondly, this shampoo is absent of any dyes or colorants. While the formula is sulfate-free, the lack of colorants ensures that the natural color of the shampoo shouldn’t affect your hair if you dye it regularly.
- Trusted for decades and made in the USA
While many men may not be familiar with the Renpure name, they have been around for over 30 years and make all their products here in the USA.
Furthermore, Renpure is active in the community and giving back. As stated on their website, in 2018 they provided 80,000 personal care items and actively works with the Salvation Army.
- Biotin and collagen combo builds volume
- Made in the USA
- Gives back to their community
- Strong reviews from many
- Does contain synthetic fragrances
What You Need To Know
When it comes to cheap biotin shampoos, this is going to provide the best bang for your buck. With the inclusion of key natural ingredients, you can expect this shampoo to build volume. Other reviewers equally loved this shampoo as well and found it well worth it.
6. Mill Creek Botanicals Biotin Shampoo for Hair Growth
- Largely natural formula designed to prevent hair loss
- Peppermint oil invigorates scalp
- Works on many hair types
Recommended For: Anyone from thin or curly hair that is looking for a biotin shampoo that can boost volume and spur hair regrowth.
There is a lot to like about this unique biotin shampoo from Mill Creek. Here are some of the noteworthy offerings:
- Natural ingredients for targeted and effective results
While this shampoo does contain a hefty dose of a biotin supplement that will help to give you thicker fuller hair, it’s the other ingredients that are also worth mentioning. With the inclusion of argan oil, panthenol, niacin, folic acid, golden seal extract, wild cherry bark extract, hops extract, and many others, your hair, and scalp will enjoy the natural amino acids that help improve hair strength.
Furthermore, this shampoo also contains peppermint oil. Beyond the invigorating scent, peppermint oil improves scalp circulation that can help with hair regrowth.
- Ph Balanced formula provides consistent results
A shampoo that has been ph-balanced has been carefully made to provide consistent results. While this doesn’t indicate how the shampoo will perform, as a ph balance that is too high or too low can still be ‘ph balanced’, it speaks to careful craftsmanship. Therefore, should you decide to buy this shampoo, you can expect consistency, and many times, quality given the attention to detail.
- Strong customer reviews
We weren’t alone in our assessment of this shampoo. Many of the customer reviews we came across were overly positive. Men often exclaimed that this shampoo had a “pleasant smell” and “rinsed out easily”. Therefore, you should expect similar results when worked on your scalp and hair.
- Ingredients list doesn’t contain harsh chemicals
- Designed to reduce hair loss
- Formulated for a healthy scalp
- Low cost
- Limited availability
What You Need To Know
Mill Creek hits all the right notes making it the best biotin shampoo for hair growth. Compatible with most hair types including both thin and curly hair, this largely natural formula strengthens hair.
7. Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening Shampoo
- Paraben-free, colorant-free, sulfate-free, no phthalates
- Plant-based formula
- Works on all hair types
Recommended For: Men who want to try and build volume for fine or thin hair
Avalon Organics prides itself on making effective formulas through their intense study of botanicals along with modern scientific thinking. It was through this unique intersection of nature and science that so many great products were born. When reviewing this biotin shampoo, here’s what we found out:
- This Shampoo contains a TON of natural and organic ingredients
From aloe vera to saw palmetto, this rich combo of ingredients has everything to build thickness in a thinning hairline. As mentioned earlier, saw palmetto is one of the few natural ingredients that has been found to increase hair growth. When you combine saw palmetto with plant protein and vitamin E, you should expect thickness and strength along the entire hair shaft.
- Quality control unmatched in this industry
When it comes to governing the beauty industry, the government provides very little oversight and leaves the brands to self-disclose however much they want about their products. Naturally, this can cause some distrust, especially when it comes to the hair loss market. To help quell any concerns on quality control, you will be happy to learn that this biotin shampoo carries an NSF/ANSI 305 certification. What does this mean? What you see on the ingredient list is accurate. Furthermore, those disclosed as organic, are organic. It’s an added bit of quality control that we were happy to see.
- How this shampoo improves your hair
While the reasons you are likely buying a shampoo doesn’t have to do with the ingredients and quality control, the important stuff will be the results (or any signs of improvement when it comes to hair loss). We are pleased to share that the results have been positive for both men and women. When used regularly, this shampoo will help to strengthen hair strands while also building volume. Furthermore, all the conditioning agents within this shampoo will help to prevent frizz and provide softness from root to tip.
- Lightweight formula won’t cause build-up
- Absent of synthetic fragrance
- Prevents dryness through moisturizers
- No travel or gym size options
- Some reviews were mixed
What You Need To Know
When it comes to natural shampoos, we give this one of our highest recommendations. The certification of ingredients along with the rich mixture of proven ingredients make this one worth trying if you are in search of a natural option.
8. Pure Biology Premium Hair Growth Shampoo
- Contains natural DHT Blockers
- Designed to add volume and thicken hair
- Works on all hair types
Recommended For: Men who want to fight their genetics with a natural DHT blocking and biotin shampoo for hair growth.
Designed to stimulate hair growth and to prevent breakage, this shampoo by Pure Biology is perfect for those looking to not only strengthen existing hair but to slow down hair loss by blocking DHT. In addition to these key properties, this shampoo is rich in a keratin complex (Amino Kera NPNF Keratin) that helps to revive damaged hair as well.
- Contains a natural alternative to minoxidil
Many men try to avoid minoxidil due to the application and common side effects (i.e. heart palpitations). In this bottle, you will find Procapil, A natural alternative to minoxidil that helps to increase blood flow and target both follicle aging and atrophy. While the claims seem promising, we only found one study on the NIH website that says that the evidence still has yet to be proven when it comes to procapil. Be that as it may, if you are trying to avoid minoxidil and are looking for other options, then this can be worth giving a try.
- Made in the USA
Unfortunately, so many shampoos are made in faraway countries halfway around the world. The problem with this is that quality controls are often lax which can lead to mismeasured ingredients and inconsistent results. Therefore, when a grooming product is made in the USA, it not only sets itself apart from so many others but also brings with it naturally better quality control and shorter shipping times. Therefore, for those who want added peace of mind (and to support your local economy), you will be happy to find that this shampoo is made in the USA. To make the deal even sweeter, Pure Biology makes this shampoo in an FDA Registered Facility.
- DHT Blocker shampoo that has seen great results among men
- Prevents moisture loss by way of rich natural ingredients
- A great alternative to chemical-based shampoos
What You Need To Know
Designed to reduce hair thinning and complete loss, this DHT blocking shampoo coupled with a natural alternative to minoxidil makes it a great shampoo to check out. While it is a bit on the expensive side, with regular use, you should see both hydration and volume make your hair look fuller and softer.
7 Tips for Buying A Biotin Shampoo
Setting expectations is everything with a biotin shampoo. If you are experiencing hair loss, then using a shampoo that contains biotin likely won’t make any significant difference in growth. Biotin is not a hair loss product like minoxidil or finasteride. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has stated the following about Biotin:
Dietary supplements that contain biotin are often promoted to improve the health of your hair, skin, and nails, but there is little scientific evidence to support these claims. In a few small studies, some people with thin and brittle nails who took high doses of biotin had harder nails. Doctors have also reported that in a few cases, high doses of biotin have improved a rare hair disorder in children and skin rash in infants. More research is needed before biotin supplements can be recommended for any of these conditions.https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Biotin-Consumer/
Additionally, if you carefully read the product description of any biotin shampoo, you’ll notice that companies never explicitly state that their product will regrow hair (for legal reasons).
2. Hair Concerns
Whether you have thin, dry, or color-treated hair, you will want to keep the following in mind:
- Thinning/Thin: A biotin shampoo that includes volumizers and fortifies the hair follicle will help to keep your hair looking full and healthy.
- Dry/Damaged: If you have dry hair due to excessive use of a hairdryer or styling product, then get a shampoo that includes moisturizers. Not only will it make your hair appear healthier and shinier, but a moisturizing shampoo can also help prevent dandruff.
- Color-Treated: If you dye your hair regularly, pick up a sulfate-free biotin shampoo. This will help to prevent any of the dye from being stripped from the follicle prematurely.
3. Common Ingredients (and what they do)
While the focus of this guide is on biotin (vitamin B7), we wanted to share with you a few proven ingredients that help with healthy hair growth:
- Ketoconazole: Commonly found in anti-dandruff shampoos to combat pityriasis rosea (a scaly rash), ketoconazole is an antifungal ingredient. If you commonly experience dandruff, consider looking for this ingredient.
- Zinc pyrithione: This is another antifungal ingredient commonly found in popular anti-dandruff shampoos, including Neutrogena T-Gel and Head & Shoulders.
- Saw Palmetto: This natural ingredient is commonly associated with hair loss. However, based on our research, the scientific evidence is insufficient at this time regarding its effectiveness in reversing or slowing down hair loss.
- Caffeine: This is often added to shampoo to help stimulate hair growth. We came across one study in our research from 2007 where scientists found that caffeine was a growth stimulator for the hair follicle (source).
4. Hair Type
Every man has a unique hair type. Make sure you select the right shampoo that compliments your hair. Consider the following:
- Thick Hair: Avoid shampoos that contain several heavy oils as they may cause your hair to appear greasy.
- Thin Hair: Look for thickening or volumizing agents that will help the hair to stand straight and have a more dense appearance.
- Curly Hair: Go with a shampoo rich in moisturizers and natural oils that will help to tame curls and prevent frizz.
If you travel or go to the gym regularly, consider buying a moderate or small size shampoo for greater convenience. Of course, for home use, a large bottle will likely lead to greater savings.
Here are a few well established and trusted brands that make biotin shampoos:
|Maple Holistics||2001||Farmingdale, New Jersey, USA|
|Renpure||2008||Vaughan, Ontario, CA|
|Avalon Natural Products||1989||Petaluma, California, USA|
|R+Co||2014||Miami, FL, USA|
|OGX||2006||Clearwater, FL, USA|
|Hask||2012||New York, NY, USA|
7. A Few Other Considerations
- Socially Responsible Brands: If you ever wanted to vote with your wallet, then this is an excellent opportunity. A variety of shampoo brands take on socially responsible initiatives. Whether it’s through cruelty-free research and development, relying on natural and organic ingredients, sustainable packaging measures, or made in the United States, the chances are that you will find a shampoo that supports your values.
- 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner: With men constantly adding new steps to their grooming regimen, it’s welcomed when a product can make things simpler. A 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner can save time and make your hair look and feel healthier. Of course, a separate shampoo and conditioner will perform better.
- Money-Back Guarantee: It’s always great when a company stands by its product, especially if you find the results lacking. Therefore, if you want to make sure you don’t waste your hard-earned cash, look for a money-back guarantee before buying.