Solid cologne is a fragrance that comes in a solid, wax-like form. It is applied directly to the skin and is typically made with natural ingredients such as essential oils and beeswax. Solid cologne is long-lasting and travel-friendly, making it an excellent option for those who want a portable fragrance option.
Today we’ll look into what differentiates solid cologne from standard spray colognes and some of the benefits that solid cologne offers.
Solid Cologne Ingredients
Unlike standard colognes, which are typically made with alcohol, solid colognes are made with a base of natural ingredients such as beeswax, cocoa butter, carrier oils, and essential oils. These ingredients help nourish and moisturize the skin while also providing a long-lasting scent.
Solid colognes typically contain a high concentration of essential oils, which are the fragrance-bearing components of plants.
Solid Cologne Scents
Solid colognes are available in various scents, from woodsy and earthy to citrusy and fresh. However, we find that most tend to favor a masculine scent profile.
Related: Best Woody Colognes
Advantages of Solid Cologne
There are several critical advantages that solid cologne offers over standard spray colognes.
- Portable: Solid colognes are small and easy to carry with you on the go. They can easily fit in a pocket, briefcase, or backpack, making them an excellent option for those who are always on the move. The small size is also TSA-compliant to take them with you on personal or business trips.
- Won’t Leak: Solid colognes won’t leak or spill like standard colognes, so you don’t have to worry about making a mess in your bag.
- Long-Lasting: Made from highly concentrated essential oils, solid colognes provide a long-lasting scent that will last throughout the day.
- Discrete Application: Unlike colognes that require you to spray them on, solid colognes can be applied discreetly and without any fuss. Perfect for a midday touch-up or for those who don’t want to draw attention to their fragrance.
- Affordable: Their lower-than-average price point and long-lasting scent make solid colognes a great value for the money. Good for guys on a budget.
- Nourishing: Solid colognes are made with natural ingredients like jojoba oil that help to nourish and moisturize the skin. Additionally, they don’t contain any harsh chemicals or alcohol, which can dry out the skin or cause irritation.
Disadvantages of Solid Cologne
There are a few disadvantages to using solid cologne that you should be aware of before purchasing.
- May Not Be as Strong: Solid colognes are made with natural ingredients, so they may not be as strong as standard colognes. If you’re looking for a powerful fragrance, you may want to stick with a spray cologne.
- Application Amount: Applying the right amount of solid cologne can be tricky, as you don’t want to use too much or too little. It’s best to start with a small amount and build up until you find the perfect amount.
- Limited Availability: Solid colognes are not as widely available as standard colognes, so you may have to do some searching to find the perfect scent for you.
- May Expire: Unlike standard colognes, which have a shelf life of 3-5 years, solid colognes may expire sooner. This is due to the natural ingredients they are made with. Be sure to check the expiration date before purchasing.
Tips for Applying Solid Cologne
Now that you know a bit more about solid cologne let’s look at some tips for applying it.
Start with a Small Amount: It’s always best to start with a small amount of solid cologne and build up from there. We recommend starting with one or two swipes and increasing the amount as needed. Keeping the tin in your pocket can help melt the cologne and make it easier to apply.
Focus on Pulse Points: To get the most out of your solid, be sure to apply it to pulse points such as the wrists, neck, and behind the ears. These areas where your body heat will help release the fragrance.
Reapply as Needed: Solid colognes typically don’t last as long as standard colognes, so you may need to reapply throughout the day. However, a little goes a long way because they are so concentrated.
Related: How to Apply Cologne
Can You Make Solid Cologne?
You can make your solid cologne at home with a few simple ingredients. All you need is beeswax, a base oil such as jojoba or sweet almond oil, and a few drops of your favorite essential oils. To make things easier, we’ve put together a solid cologne recipe that you can use.
- 1-ounce beeswax
- .5 ounce jojoba oil
- 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil
- Melt the beeswax and jojoba oil together in a small pot.
- Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the essential oils.
- Pour into a small tin or jar.
- Store in a cool, dark place and use as needed.
Making your own solid cologne is a great way to save money and get the exact scent you want. Plus, it’s a fun project to do with friends or family. Give it a try!
Popular Solid Cologne Brands
Here are a few of our favorites:
- Duke Cannon
- Fulton & Roark
- Juniper Ridge
- Outlaw Soaps
- Walton Wood Farm