Finding the right pair of underwear can be a tricky endeavor for a lot of men.
You don’t want something too tight, material that isn’t breathable, nor one that just generally gets in the way of your daily life. In addition, a good pair of underwear will support your package to allow for great presentation.
In this guide, we will be reviewing the best men’s underwear of 2020 along with sharing with you some key tips to keep in mind when making your decision.
Let’s get started:
Table of Contents
- Comparing the Best Men’s Underwear
- The Best Men’s Underwear of 2020 Reviewed
- 10 Tips on Finding the Best Underwear for Men
- Most Men Don’t Know These 9 Rules When Wearing Underwear
- Underwear: Must-Have Accessories (No, Really)
- Underwear FAQs
- Underwear vs. the Alternatives
- Our Criteria for Choosing the Best Men’s Underwear
Comparing the Best Men’s Underwear
Based on our research, we found the following men’s underwear to be among the best based on the following categories:
- Cut / Style: While unique to every man, the right underwear should complement your natural body movement.
- Material: Not only will this ensure that your underwear is breathable, but the right blend of materials will also keep things in place downstairs.
- Best For: Whether you are looking for a pair to work out in, or one to keep you warm during winter, we award the following underwear for certain intents.
- Price: We aren’t made of money, here’s a look at how much you should spend on a new pair of underwear.
- Rating: Based on a variety of qualitative and quantitative factors, we rate the most popular men’s underwear brands.
|Tommy John Second Skin Trunk||Boxer Briefs||Micro Modal, Spandex||Overall||5.0|
|Pair of Thieves Cool Breeze Boxer Briefs||Boxer Briefs||Modal, Cotton, Spandex||Underwear for Chafing||4.9|
|Tani USA Men’s SilkCut Boxer Brief||Boxer Briefs||Micro Modal, Spandex||Ultra-Soft & Performance Fabric||4.8|
|Mack Weldon Knit Boxers||Boxer||Cotton, Modal, Spandex||Comfort||4.8|
|Calvin Klein 100% Cotton Classic Boxer Briefs||Boxer Briefs||Cotton||100% Cotton Underwear for Men||4.6|
|Tommy John Second Skin Brief||Briefs||Micro Modal, Spandex||Fitted Underwear for Men||4.6|
|Minus33 706 Kancamagus Merino Wool Men’s Thermal Underwear||Full Leg||Wool||Thermal Underwear||4.6|
|Saxx Quest Boxer Brief||Boxer Briefs||Nylon||For Ball Support||4.5|
|Adidas Sport Performance Boxer Briefs||Boxer Briefs||Polyester, Spandex||Workout Underwear||4.5|
|ColdPruf Dual Layer Bottom||Full Leg||Polyester||Long Underwear for Men||4.4|
|2(X)IST Essential Cotton Thong||Thong||Cotton||Sweaty Balls||4.3|
|Hanes Comfortsoft 100% Cotton Boxers||Boxers||Cotton||Cheap Underwear||4.2|
The Best Men’s Underwear of 2020 Reviewed
- Micro modal and spandex blend
- Horizontal fly is easy to access
- Waistband won’t roll or pinch
Any man that wants both the softness and support from a premium brand.
A pioneer in the modern underwear, Tommy John sets the gold standard with the Second Skin Trunk. Crafted from a modal fabric (90%) and a touch of spandex (10%), this pair of underwear will feel soft and wear incredibly well. Unlike other underwear reviewed, the modal fabric will not pill – which means that they won’t be covered in lint balls after a few washes.
One of the biggest features of these undies has to be the quick draw pouch. Unlike so many other underwear that has sewn seams in the crotch, held together by a button, or even worse, lets everything just fly out with an open slot, Tommy John has a horizontal fly that allows for easy access when needed.
Men of all sizes also like the waistband as it will stay put throughout the day. So, whether you work at a construction site or an office, you don’t have to worry about readjusting or pulling up your underwear.
Unlike so many other underwear brands, the sizes that Tommy John makes for this pair is impressive. Made for men with waist sizes anywhere between 28″ and 46″ – you should have no problem sliding into a pair of these.
- Made from quality materials that should last for a long time
- The best you can get out of modern underwear
- Works for men of all professions
- A bit pricey
What You Need To Know
- 4-way stretch fabric
- Anti-chafing seams
- Moisture-wicking and breathable
Moisture control and 4-way fabric make it the best men’s underwear to prevent chafing.
There is no denying the amount of discomfort that chafing causes. The repeated rubbing between the fabric and your skin (or skin-to-skin contact) is something that every man tries their best to avoid. Whether you live in a hot and humid climate or find that areas of your skin are prone to chafing, you may want to switch up your underwear – enter Pair of Thieves Cool Breeze Boxer Briefs.
Designed with anti-chafing seams through flat-stitching along with a cooling mesh, these boxer briefs are highly breathable and moisture-wicking. With this intense focus on cooling and moisture control, you can feel confident that once you slide these undies on, you will instantly notice the huge upgrade.
Beyond chafing, the fly on these boxers does open up for easy access. Furthermore, the waistband has a soft lining that will feel great against your hips as it won’t pinch, dig, or roll down your side.
Backed by a SWASS (Swamp Ass) guarantee – these boxers can be refunded (first item only) 90 days after purchase.
We weren’t alone in our review of Pair of Thieves either, other men have stated that this underwear was “so fresh and cool” and that they were “super-soft” making this simply one the best boxer briefs available.
- Rightly priced
- Great for someone looking for a lightweight underwear
- Feedback from other men overwhelmingly positive
- Not available as a multipack (for price savings in bulk)
What You Need To Know
- Made from a blend of modal (94%) and spandex (6%)
- Very soft and stretchy material
- Available in 4 colors
Guys looking for an ultra-soft and flexible fabric in their boxer briefs.
Made from a proprietary Micro Modal Air fabric, these super soft silk-like boxers from Tani will feel great along the surface of your skin. Able to grip the contours of your body effortlessly given the high composition of spandex, guys of all body types loved the fit of these boxers. To further add to their comfort, the stretchy fit of these boxers will stay put throughout the day, so you won’t have to worry about any sort of bunching.
One unique property that a lot of guys enjoyed about the Micro Modal Air fabric was that it was extremely lightweight, breathable and moisture-wicking – which will keep you much cooler and more comfortable compared to other heavier materials.
Claimed to be both softer and more durable than traditional silk underwear, these boxers will feel like a dream when pulled on. Another feature we loved about these boxers were their care instructions – machine wash and tumble dry low.
While there is some debate about the steep price commanded for these, generally men were pretty pleased with the results.
- Softer than silk yet more durable
- Resists bunching up along the leg when walking
- Made from natural materials
- A bit pricey for underwear
What You Need To Know
- Calvin Klein is one of the most popular underwear brands for men
- Made from 100% cotton
- Available in many different colors
Men who want a trusted and classic underwear brand that has set the trend.
There is no denying the amount of clout that Calvin Klein has over the undergarment industry. Introducing a pair of boxer shorts back in the 1980s (source), they set the world ablaze. Decades later, they stay true to their underwear heritage with the Calvin Klein Classic Boxer Briefs. Made from 100% cotton, these underwear offer terrific airflow while also feeling intensely comfortable on your skin.
The larger leg openings make them also a great pair of cotton boxer briefs for average to larger men. Available in a multitude of colors and sizes (SM to XL), men should have no problem finding the perfect pair to meet their unique style. While these are by no means intended to act as a base layer for gym shorts, they are much better suited as a daily driver.
Lastly the price, these Calvin Klein boxer briefs are available as multipacks which makes them much more accessible for men who want to take a step up from some of the traditional mass-produced brands. With a price tag south of $30 for 3 – they are affordable for many.
- A classic pair of boxer briefs from Calvin Klein that will likely never go out of style
- Cotton helps to improve circulation and comfort
- Pairs perfectly with jeans
- Not the best to wear during workouts
What You Need To Know
- Made from 100% wool
- Available in sizes XS to 6XL
- UPF protection
Men who want the ultimate in warmth during the frigid winter months.
When it comes to finding the best thermal underwear for men, the Minus33 706 Kancamagus Merino Wool Midweight Bottom Thermal Underwear was a standout performer.
One of the biggest selling points to this underwear compared to all other thermal underwear was due to its material composition. Merino wool is finding itself into all sorts of clothing for men today. This naturally and humanely sourced fabric (sourced from sheep) is both a good insulator and highly breathable. While this may seem like an oxymoron, this unique fabric helps the Minus33 Thermal Underwear to regulate your temperature like no other fabric. Furthermore, if you start to do any sort of athletic activity or simply a light jog, the wool will draw moisture away from your skin to keep you dry.
Furthermore, these underwear rely on flatlock stitching that lies flat on the skin. This will result in reduced chafing in your sensitive areas with prolonged use.
With one of the largest size ranges available of any underwear reviewed, you can find the Minus33 706 Kancamagus Midweight Bottoms in sizes from XS to 6XL. Furthermore, tall men can rejoice as they also make their underwear in tall sizes.
Based out of New Hampshire (source), Minus33 supports a variety of organizations and offers a one-year warranty along with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee on all of their products. Therefore, if you are a slight bit skittish about trying a new brand, this USA-based company stands by their product.
- Made from a super comfortable wool
- Naturally anti-microbial material
- Acts as an effective base layer for winter
- A bit expensive
- Best for only winter use
What You Need To Know
- Synthetic blend wicks moisture
- Dries quickly when drenched with sweat
- Won’t bunch or ride up on legs
Men looking for the best boxers that won’t get in the way when breaking a sweat.
When it comes to athletic-focused underwear, there is no beating the Adidas Sport Performance Boxer Briefs. While normally boxer briefs aren’t recommended for intense running, this pair from Adidas is an exception. With large leg openings and a trunk-like cut, the fully synthetic blend (91% polyester, 9% spandex) boxer briefs will do a great job at wicking moisture while keeping your manhood comfortably in place.
With a wide waistband, this underwear will never require readjustment when the going gets tough – nor will they dig into your hips either.
While the specs on this athletic underwear are impressive, it’s the little details that we also like. For starters, the fly on these boxer briefs is sewn shut for added security. Given that these aren’t intended for daily wear, most men will welcome this addition. Furthermore, the fabric is also double-lined in key places to ensure additional comfort and support.
If you hit the weights regularly and want to go with a trusted performance brand, then these short-cut boxer briefs by Adidas will be your best pick.
- Designed for athletic support
- The waistband will be comfortable
- Attention to detail is unmatched
- Not daily underwear (and that’s okay)
What You Need To Know
- Made from synthetic materials
- Incredibly affordable
- Mid-rise provides comfort
Men who want an alternative to long johns that are also affordable.
Whether you are going out on a camping trip, or are looking for a pair of long underwear to wear beneath your jeans when the temperatures begin to drop, the ColdPruf Long Underwear are a perfect pick.
Unlike other product reviews that feature cutting edge technology, these simple underwear rely on a moisture-wicking 100% polyester blend. What does this mean for you? It means that your precious body heat will stay in while the moisture that causes chafing will be drawn away. Therefore, you can feel both comfortable and warmer all winter long. With a sub $20 price point, these can easily work into just about any man’s budget as well.
Based out of North Carolina, ColdPruf is a subsidiary of the Indera Mills Company – a textile maker that makes a variety of camos and performance wear.
For those men who like to ‘vote with their wallet,’ you will be happy to learn that ColdPruf has a few green initiatives that they take part in listed on their site.
- A simple pair of long underwear that will keep you warm
- Environmentally conscious company
- Comfortable to wear for extended periods
- A rich history in textile manufacturing
- The ankle may be a bit tight for some
- Limited styles
What You Need To Know
- High-cut perfect for men with large legs
- The smooth fabric feels great on the skin
- Contour pouch good for endowed men
Men who have larger legs or are looking for a bit more room if they are well-endowed.
While they often get made fun of for being tighty whities or the underwear your dad wears, there is no denying their comfort. With a higher cut around the upper thigh, you never have to worry about bunching or pulling of fabric as you do with a standard pair of boxers. Furthermore, the unique cut of briefs allows for those men who have a larger package to have some increased comfort thanks to a larger pouch.
Style aside, as is true with other Tommy John underwear, these briefs rely on that same silk-like fabric that will feel great against your skin.
Currently available in 10 different colors and patterns that span both neutral to bold, you can have some fun picking out a pair that works with your unique and fun style.
Like their other underwear we reviewed, these briefs have a horizontal fly for easy access.
- Plenty of room for your junk
- The high cut won’t bunch around your man parts
- Will fit great for average to larger men
- Won’t get a wedgie
- Pricey for a brief
What You Need To Know
- Ballpark pouch provides support from the sides
- Works for many different activities
- Available in 14 different colors
If you sweat quite a bit, then this hybrid performance underwear will work to wick moisture while providing support to your genitals.
When you take a look at any performance shirt made from the large brands, they are never made from cotton. Instead, they are typically made from a blend of synthetic materials. The reason for this reliance on manmade fibers isn’t just due to its increased durability, but these fibers are also great at drawing sweat away from the skin. Evident in these sweat-wicking boxer briefs by Saxx, they are designed to “combat clamminess” by relying on a unique blend of nylon (77%), spandex (14%), and polyester (9%). Not only will this blend reduce moisture on the skin, but it is incredibly lightweight and highly breathable.
As great as this fabric may be, what sets these Saxx Boxer Briefs apart from other brands is their design. When sliding these briefs on, you will notice that they have a flat stitched seam and bonded back rear tag for maximum comfort. But it gets better. Saxx developed a proprietary “Ballpark Pouch” that keeps your manhood and testicles from shifting around too much. While not as tight as old school jockstraps, this extra soft side webbing will provide some structure in moments that matter.
Currently available in 14 different colors and patterns, you can find the perfect pair to match your style and personality.
- Sweat-wicking fabric keeps the moisture away
- Anti-odor fabric combats bacteria buildup
- The pouch provides movement security for your genitals
- Some reviewers found bunching on the legs
What You Need To Know
- Fabric air-dried for 18 hours before stitching
- Covered waistband
- Large gusset for comfort
Men who want a pair of underwear that feels supremely comfortable.
When reviewing this underwear, you will see that Mack Weldon prioritized comfort over everything else. Crafted from a hybrid blend of fabric that contains cotton (47.5%), modal (47.5%), and spandex (5%), you have underwear that strikes the right balance between being super soft and a touch form-fitting. While the fabric is stellar, it’s the little things that count. First, the pouch is stretched providing a great area for your manhood to not feel too cramped throughout the day. Secondly, unlike most other underwear brands, Mack Weldon smartly covered the waistband in a soft fabric. Therefore, it will never feel like it is pinching into your hips when worn throughout the day.
When it comes to intent, these trunks are best worn for daily use or nightwear. Given that the fabric is not as form-fitting as other brands reviewed, there may be some bunching that occurs if you try to wear these when working out.
Available in both solid colors and prints, you should have no problem finding one to fit your unique lifestyle. Lastly, the price on these can be a bit steep compared to others reviewed, therefore we would recommend waiting for sales (or simply signing up for the mailing list) before purchase if you want to save a few bucks.
- Great for people in search of comfy underwear
- Tailored fit
- The large pouch doesn’t constrict
- May experience bunching when running
- The button fly isn’t for everyone
What You Need To Know
- 100% Cotton Underwear
- Extremely affordable
- Available in neutral colors
Men who are on a tight budget will love the 100% cotton blend in these affordable boxers.
Hanes Men Comfortsoft Boxers is a staple boxer for a lot of men. Chances are that you have probably worn a pair once in your life. Made from 100% cotton, they are extremely cheap while also highly breathable. The reason so many men love these boxers (aside from the price) is due in large part to the airflow they provide.
Unlike some expensive men’s underwear that may pill or cause lint balls after a few washes, these boxers are fairly durable (although not as tough as some of the other activewear boxers we reviewed), they can withstand the test of time compared to most other garments.
While these boxers are good, there are some notable drawbacks. Susceptible to bunching given their lack of any spandex in their composition will make them quite annoying if you find yourself in any active situation. Secondly, these boxers don’t present well. Unlike others that may help to enhance the size of your member to the eye of others, these won’t help at all.
- Provide great value for an underwear
- Washing instructions are dead simple
- Go-to pick for men on a tight budget
- Runs a bit small, so may want to size up
- Often bunches under your clothes
What You Need To Know
- Made from 100% Cotton
- Easy care instructions
- Contour pouch provides plenty of support
Men who want adequate support with minimal fabric or movement restriction.
We are willing to bet that the 2(X)IST Essential Cotton Thong will be a stretch for a few (ok, a lot) of men reading this. Made from 100% cotton, these minimal coverage underwear are a pleasure to wear. Rather than going commando, this cotton thong provides great support thanks to the sizeable contour pouch for your manhood.
Rather than wearing briefs (boxer or standard), the airflow that you will get to your crotch will be unmatched – and probably the reason why so many that try these on will never go back to their standard underwear ever again.
As for the straps, they are incredibly soft, so while they are rather small – especially compared to the thick waistbands found in so many boxer briefs, they will never feel like they are digging into your skin after a few hours.
Whether you carry a lot or very little weight, the low-rise fit of the thong will be able to fit easily (and discretely) below the beltline – as to avoid any sort of embarrassing fashion snafus.
- Great for many occasions
- Lines discretely go away under your layers of clothing
- Perfect for hot climates
- A tough sell for many men
What You Need To Know
10 Tips on Finding the Best Underwear for Men
When deciding on a new pair of underwear, you will want to keep the following in mind:
Men’s underwear can come in 5 types of styles, here’s a quick look at each and how they differ from one another:
Brief: The brief is the quintessential underwear that comes to mind for many men. Also referred to as tighty whiteys, briefs are both short and keep things snug around the crotch area. Typically relying on an elastic waistband and a y-shaped fly, this underwear style won’t bunch up – making it a comfortable pick for a lot of men.
Boxer Shorts: Named after the shorts worn by boxers, these are a modest cut pair of shorts that are a fair bit looser than the standard brief. Proven to increase sperm quality as it gives more breathing room for your manhood, the boxer short is good for men who like to feel cool and airy. Like the brief, the boxer short typically has an elastic waistband. However, the fly on boxer shorts is usually paired with a button. While perfectly fine for daily wear, boxer shorts are also great for sleeping.
Boxer Briefs: A modification of the boxer short, stylish boxer briefs are made of a similar cut, yet have spandex (elastane) properties making them also like traditional briefs (hence the name boxer briefs). Typically cut a bit shorter, boxer briefs extend to the mid-to-upper thigh area. While commonly worn by athletes as performance underwear as they prevent chafing, plenty of men like wearing these daily.
Trunk: A newer style of men’s underwear will be the trunk cut. Cut similar to a boxer brief, the trunk underwear features a pronounced contour pouch making it much more comfortable for your manhood. This not only increases comfort over other styles in way of movement but also helps to circulate air for better breathability.
Long Underwear: Also known as long johns, long underwear is a type of thermal underwear that will help keep your crotch and legs warm during the winter months. Helpful in regulating your body temperature, thermal underwear often contains moisture-wicking properties (typically relying on lycra) to help draw any moisture away from the body should you begin to sweat. These can also be a perfect alternative to pajamas.
Other Styles: Beyond the 5 popular styles above, some more novelty underwear that men may wear include bikini, thong, g-string, silk underwear, and silk boxers.
Rise is how high the underwear rests along your waist. Men’s underwear comes in three rise types:
- Low-rise: below the hip
- Mid-rise: at the hip
- High-rise: at your natural waist (below the belly button)
Which rise will work best for you? For larger men, we recommend mid-rise to high-rise to prevent the plumber’s crack and pronounced love handles. For athletic or slim men, you will want to consider low-rise underwear.
3. Body Type
Men’s bodies come in many different shapes and sizes, however, the same cannot be said for underwear. To find a pair that fits best for you, here are a few quick tips:
- Men with large legs or thighs: Briefs and trunks have large leg openings that allow for a greater range of motion – especially for men with large legs. This higher-cut of underwear won’t bunch around your crotch when walking.
- Thin legs and thighs: Boxer briefs are recommended underwear for men with thin or slender legs. The natural elasticity within this underwear type will ensure that the fabric remains close to your skin to prevent bunching.
- Average body types: Most underwear has been designed for men of this body type. You should be able to safely go with any of the underwear reviewed within this guide.
Getting the right sized underwear is important, yet it’s a step that so many are quick to ignore. The right size fit can make a large difference in both comfort and performance. Too tight of underwear and you will have pronounced love handles whereas too large it will bunch up or fall. Before buying underwear, review the size chart. You will find that the size (XS, S, M, L, XL, etc.) will vary from one brand to the next.
Material is important for both performance and breathability. Here is a list of the best fabric for men’s underwear and how they differ from one another:
- Cotton: One of the most popular fabric types for underwear, cotton is natural, breathable, comfortable, affordable, and in some instances, environmentally friendly (depending on how the fabric was sourced). While not as durable as other fabrics available, the naturally breathable fabric provides odor control while also helping to increase sperm quality. For environmentally-conscious men, organic cotton underwear is available. While not feeling significantly better or softer, organic cotton is sourced in a responsible way to lessen the environmental impact. Cotton does come in several grades which includes the following: Supima cotton (best), Pima cotton (better), regular cotton.
- Synthetics & Blends: Synthetic or man-made fabrics are some of the most common materials found in performance and thermal underwear. Several synthetic fibers exist including nylon, polyester, micro modal, rayon, lycra, and more. One common property across these fabrics is durability. Engineered for strength, synthetic fibers in underwear will be less susceptible to holes – especially in the crotch area between your legs. While many of these products provide a snug fit, they can wick moisture to regulate body temperature. Naturally, these fabrics often aren’t as breathable, therefore odor control may be a personal issue for some.
- Other Materials: Silk and satin are designed for intimate or loungewear as they focus on texture and provide little to no support (with the exception of perhaps ice silk boxers). Another underwear material we came across in our research was bamboo. Bamboo, like cotton, is eco-friendly, comfy, and dries quickly. However, bamboo isn’t as widespread as cotton – which leads to increased prices.
When deciding on the waistband, there are two things you want to keep in mind, the width and design of the waistband.
- Waistband Width: A waistband helps to provide comfort by preventing the underwear from digging into your skin while keeping things put. However, too wide and thin of a waistband and you are susceptible to the fabric rolling over. On the other hand, too narrow, then underwear will often pinch or become ill-fitting after repeated sitting and standing. Therefore, it’s best to get a waistband of moderate width.
- Waistband Logo / Design: Many designer underwear brands like to advertise on the waistband. Some men don’t mind this and others try to avoid it. Logos and designs on waistbands are a personal choice. Our recommendation here is to make sure it is discrete if you are wearing mid- or high-rise underwear underneath a dress shirt.
Men’s underwear comes in many different colors. But what color underwear should you go with? While white remains the traditional color, popular brands like Tommy John make their briefs, trunks, boxer briefs, and more in a variety of colors and patterns.
While the color is rarely seen underneath your pants or shorts, safe bets include black, gray, and beige or dark brown. These darker colors are both modern and won’t show stains. If you are wondering which underwear to wear under white pants, then we recommend gray or beige as it won’t show through the fabric.
Based on our research, we found the following underwear brands to be the most popular with men:
- Calvin Klein
- Derek Rose
- Emporio Armani
- Ermenegildo Zegna
- Fruit of the Loom
- Hugo Boss
- Mack Weldon
- Polo Ralph Lauren
- Tommy John
If you decide to buy a brand outside of the list above, we recommend doing your research. Unknown men’s underwear brands are typically inferior in quality and will fall apart rather quickly (plus they typically never stand behind their products).
When reviewing retailer sites, we found that a good pair of men’s underwear will retail anywhere between $10 and $35 for a single pair. Prices may be higher depending on the quality of craftsmanship, the material used, and intent (i.e. long thermal underwear cost more than briefs).
For men looking for price savings, buy in bulk when possible.
No two underwear are the same. Extra levels of craftsmanship can set one pair apart from others. Here are a few extra features we found to be game-changers in our research:
- Moisture Wicking/Quick Dry: Whether you live in a warm climate or are buying a pair of athletic performance underwear, underwear that wicks moisture will be a godsend. With the ability to pull moisture away from your skin, you will reduce chaffing while also limiting bacterial growth which causes odor.
- Compression: Compression underwear helps to promote blood flow towards your pelvic region. This is helpful for athletes to enhance their athletic performance. Now if you don’t plan on running for extended periods, compression underwear, like compression shorts, help make sure things stay put.
- Temperature Regulating: Very different from underwear that wicks moisture, temperature regulating underwear is often sewn differently to increase ventilation. Furthermore, some of these underwear also rely on cooler fabrics like bamboo, which helps to promote this natural airflow. This can be an important feature for men conscious about odor control or looking to increase virility.
- Contour Pouch: With extra fabric added to the front of the underwear, a contour pouch is a welcome addition for well-endowed men. A contour pouch provides instant relief and space for your manhood.
- Flatlock Stitching: This unique sewing method creates a flat seam on the underwear. If your skin gets easily irritated or you simply want comfortable underwear, then this seam will feel great.
Most Men Don’t Know These 9 Rules When Wearing Underwear
Yes, while you are likely a pro at wearing underwear, it is important to always step back and have a bit of honest self-reflection and think about your underwear and how you wear them. With that, we wanted to share with you a few tips:
1. The Right Type of Underwear
While it may sound silly, wearing underwear for the proper occasion is hugely important. The reason so many men hate their current underwear is that they are wearing them wrong! Wearing long flowy boxer shorts when running makes for a bad combo. Therefore, it’s important to select underwear to meet the occasion.
2. How Long Should You REALLY Wear the Same Pairs of Underwear?
Whether you are 15 or 35, chances are that you have worn the same pairs of underwear a bit too long…and that’s completely okay. While life and job demands may get in the way of proper hygiene, it’s important to know that underwear has its limits. The reason it’s so important to change your underwear is due to bacteria growth. The dark and humid climate in your nether regions creates the perfect breeding ground for bacteria to thrive. Therefore, it’s important to keep the rotation going even if you don’t shower. Truth be told, even the best boxer shorts that are airy still need to get changed now and again.
3. Briefs Are Underrated – Wear Them When Possible
Sure, while briefs get a bad name as it seems only that little kids and old men wear them, there is no denying their functionality. Even if you own boxer briefs, mixing up your wardrobe with a few pairs of briefs is highly advised – especially if you aren’t looking to show off your underwear in front of others. Here are a few good reasons you may want to add them to your rotation:
- Leg Openings: Briefs are great for those men who have large thighs thanks to their large leg openings.
- Large Package: Well-endowed men also love briefs as they also have quite a bit more room in the front and allow for plenty of room and comfort. They can also help you present well to others – especially if you have a muscular frame.
- Less Fabric: Men who have modest buttocks will like the lack of fabric found on briefs. They are cut higher and are less frumpy – making it much easier to complement your body.
- No Bunching: If you hate the bunching found in boxers then you should go with briefs. The higher cut never bunches or gets tight up around your package.
4. Family Planning? Go Loose
If you and your wife are planning on having a child, then it is best to wear a looser pair of underwear such as boxers. When you wear boxers, the testicles will hang lower from your body to cool off. When you wear boxer briefs or trunks that keep everything contained, the testicles are unable to go through this natural cooling process. As found in this recent study, men who wore boxers were found to have increased sperm concentration and total count.
5. Wearing the Right Underwear with Your Clothes
Whether you plan on wearing skinny jeans or even a full suit, it’s important to select the right complementary underwear. When wearing tailored clothing that is cut close to the body, it is important to wear form-fitting underwear. This will lessen the chance of bunching and having the underwear as visible lumps on your pants.
6. Wedgies Are a Sign of Bad Underwear
Wedgies are caused when the elastic (spandex) has worn out in your underwear or the fabric has become too loose. To avoid this embarrassing mishap, make sure that you replace your underwear often and follow the sizing recommendations.
7. Boxer Briefs vs. Trunks – What Works Best for You?
Trunks are a newer cut that is a bridge between the brief and boxer shorts. A higher horizontal that is nearly level with your groin virtually eliminates bunching. Great for toned men and those with larger legs, the trunk offers great air circulation. Boxer briefs are great for daily wear and are a bit more secure through increased coverage.
8. Fashion or Function? Which Is the Right Kind for You?
With so many funky styles and patterns of underwear, it’s easy to get confused about which underwear will work. Our recommendation here is to go with what you are comfortable wearing. If you aren’t active in the dating scene and don’t put a high emphasis on style, then of course function will be better. If you like to present yourself well, then a pair of fashion underpants can make you feel like a king. Of course, its personal preference – do what feels right for you.
9. Is skimpy wear such as g-strings and thongs a daily option?
In the world of novelty underwear, g-strings and thongs can provide quite a bit of fun for some men. However, underwear such as g-strings is purely novelty wear and is intended to be worn for no more than an hour or so. Some thongs, such as the one we reviewed in this guide, are intended for daily wear. Therefore, we recommend you do your research accordingly. Of course, we aren’t here to tell you what to do, so if you want to have a bit of fun with your partner by wearing these for extended periods – then more power to you.
Underwear: Must-Have Accessories (No, Really)
If you are in the middle of upgrading your underwear, chances are high that there might be a few other staples in your wardrobe that might need a bit of a refresh. Here are a few other things to consider:
Underwear and undershirts, name a better combo!? Undershirts are the unsung hero of men. Not only do they work to stop your sweat from seeping through to your dress shirt, but they also will give you a more uniform appearance by smoothing out your chest hair and nipples beneath your shirt.
But here’s the deal:
Not all dress shirts are created equal. From the type of cotton used in their construction to the many different cuts for the neck, it is important to know how they differ from one another. To help you out, we recently updated our detailed guide on men’s undershirts that we think you should check out.
One of the biggest reasons that your favorite pair of underwear need to get replaced is due to rips or tears. While much of this wear and tear is attributed to daily use, another reason is due to the underwear getting snagged on buttons and zippers when going through the washer and dryer.
To protect the delicate fabric of your new underwear, we strongly recommend that you use a laundry bag when you wash them (you should do this for all undergarments). This doesn’t need to be anything fancy. Something along the lines like this one should be more than enough.
Here are a few common questions we came across during our research that we wanted to answer:
What is the best men’s underwear?
The best underwear for you will be one that meets your needs and budget. This means that if you are looking for a pair of underwear to wear daily, then one that is comfortable and requires little readjustment will be your best choice. Now, if you are looking for recommendations for a high activity situation, then performance underwear that has increased flexibility and strength is better.
What type of underwear should men wear?
Men should wear underwear that works for their body type. If you have large legs or plan on running, then briefs or trunks are a good choice. For daily workwear, then boxers and boxer briefs can be comfortable. Beyond one certain style, many men own a combination of underwear to suit their needs throughout the week.
What is the best fabric for men’s underwear?
The best fabric for men’s underwear depends on intent and preference. Cotton is highly breathable and preferred by many men, while synthetic fibers offer moisture-wicking and anti-odor properties.
Why do guys wear underwear underneath their swim trunks?
Some guys wear underwear underneath their swim trunks, especially if there is no net to contain their member. The reason is that some swim trunks fabrics are thin and can leave very little to the viewer’s imagination when worn. Unless you are well-endowed, chances are you will want an inner mesh on your swim trunks to keep things private.
What’s the most comfortable underwear?
The most comfortable underwear depends on preference. Some men like the feel of airy cotton boxers, while others may prefer the snug support of a stretchy modal fabric. We recommend picking a pair of underwear that feels great on your goods.
Why do men wear underwear?
Men wear underwear for sanitary reasons and support. Whether running or sitting down, underwear protects your pants from any leakage or stains.
Should guys sleep in underwear?
It is entirely up to your personal preference. Some men like sleeping in underwear as it allows them to air out after a long day of work. Everyone’s process is different, go with what feels most comfortable to you.
Is it ok for a guy to go commando?
Yes, it is fine for men to go commando (without underwear). However, be sure that you wash your clothes regularly for sanitary reasons.
Underwear vs. the Alternatives
While the true alternative to underwear is no underwear, we wanted to touch on a few other undergarment options that manage the bits downstairs:
Underwear is intended for daily wear and sanitary reasons. Not only does it absorb moisture from your groin region, but it also protects your delicate skin from rubbing on rough materials such as denim, zippers, and more. As we covered in this guide, undergarments can come in many different styles which work for many body types of men.
First manufactured in 1874 to protect bicycle-riding messengers (i.e. bike jockeys) the jockstrap remains a critical piece of equipment for men in a variety of sports. From combat sports such as MMA to professional sports such as hockey, the jockstrap prevents a world of pain from happening if a stray knee or puck finds its way to your groin. Unlike underwear, jockstraps provide no coverage on the back end and are focused on just protecting your front.
While the design has changed little in nearly 150 years for the traditional jockstrap, some companies have begun adding cup inserts to boxer briefs for increased comfort.
Like a pair of women’s bikinis, bikini briefs for men are quite skimpy on their coverage. Leaving very little to the imagination on the front or back end, bikinis are largely for novelty purposes and for men looking to add a spark to their romance. Of course, if worn for extended periods, you can expect very little support from these types of drawers.
Whether you are looking to put on a show, or just having a bit of fun with your partner in the privacy of your own home, this skimpy garment is fully intended for novelty wearing. With a pouch in the front and a thin string for the waist and back, there is not much left to one’s imagination.
Our Criteria for Choosing the Best Men’s Underwear
Finding the best underwear for men 2020 was tough. With so many options and new companies entering the space, there never has been more of an exciting time to both review and buy underwear.
Gone are the days of just plain cotton briefs. Men today have so many options at their disposal. However, after carefully reviewing all the leading brands, cuts, fabrics, prices, and more – we are confident that our list above provides all the info you need to find the perfect pair to meet your needs.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?