Is A Mask REALLY Necessary?
I get it.
Every skincare company on the face of the planet is trying to sell us guys on ‘the next great thing’ to look better and younger.
But come on, how is adding a bit of volcano dirt really going to unlock the fountain of youth…
Here’s the reality gents:
Yes, I said it.
Applying a face mask isn’t going to make you look 5 years younger. Sorry, your college days are still memories, your older now, perhaps have a kid or two (my thoughts are with you if you have more than one – I don’t know how you do it man).
Anyhow, not to veer off from the meat and potatoes so to speak!
So, a face mask isn’t going to shred years from your appearance.
BUT (and a big one – Kim K. style), they will help you ward off the signs of aging.
Those fine lines and crows feet that are developing around your eyes will start to slow in their tracks should you start to use a face mask on a regular basis.
But why? But how?
So, to understand how a face mask works, you need to get deep…really deep.
The benefits of a face mask are multi-faceted.
First and foremost, it helps to clear out all that gunk and oil that is resting in the deep dark corners of your pores.
So, if you have a naturally oily or combination skin type along your T-zone, the introduction of a face mask will be a godsend to you.
Therefore, if acne and blackheads are still a problem long after those dreaded teenage years have passed, face masks (especially ones that depend on clay) will help to subside these skin blemishes.
BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE!! (Billy Mays – god rest his soul)
Facial masks are great at adding an additional layer of moisture to your skin.
This can help to reduce (notice how I didn’t say eliminate or cure), the appearance of those fine lines and wrinkles.
Lastly, and this one is a bit of a weird Oprah-esq thing that some guys feel (I won’t publicly admit to this), is that face masks will also make you feel a bit more…better about yourself.
In that you feel better about your mood and more in-tune with your body…
…Ok, is it getting a little weird in here or is it just me?
Let’s get moving to the next section shall we…
How To Apply A Facial Mask
Regardless of the base compound of the facial mask that you decide upon, the application process is going to be relatively the same.
To get the most out of your brand new facial mask you are going to want to follow these steps:
- Being that the facial mask is going to release many of the impurities and excess sebum oil from your skin, it’s important to cleanse thoroughly with your trusted face wash to ensure that you have a cleaner base to your skin. This helps the face mask to penetrate deeper and ultimately provide better results for your skin.
- After you have fully cleansed, make sure that you simply pat dry your face (you should be doing this already). Vigorously rubbing your face dry can lead to collagen damage and generally it’s not good to do this to your skin.
- Unless the manufacturer has any product specific applications (which many of them don’t), you will want to go ahead and apply the mask evenly over your face. Be sure to not apply too close to your eyes as the skin here is a bit thinner.
- After about 15 minutes (unless directed otherwise), you will then want to wash the mask off with warm water. Many of the masks featured in this article rely on natural compounds, so there is not much reason to cleanse post-mask application, however, if you are adamant on cleansing, you absolutely can.
- Apply a moisturizer to your skin after drying as it will help to re-hydrate your skin and you can go about your day.