Painters use a canvas, a series of brushes, and beautifully pigmented paints. A sculptor uses clay and fine scalpels to achieve stunning lines and grooves. Hell, even contractors use hammers, screwdrivers, and other tools to make their job easier. For some, proper manscaping is an art in itself, like painting or sculpting. For others, you want to get the work done. Whatever way you like to think about it, you know it’s necessary to remove that pesky hair from here, there, and…down there.
Having the right tools for the job will make your life so much easier and whole hell of a lot more comfortable.
In this guide, we’ll look at some of the finest body hair trimmers available.
Let’s dive in.
The Best Body Hair Trimmers
1. Best Trimmer For Balls: Philips Norelco Bodygroom
Finding the right trimmer for your delicate areas is about as important a decision as you’re likely to make. If you get a trimmer that doesn’t work well and…well, no need to spell it out. It behooves you to get a trimmer meant for your nether bits.
The Philips Norelco Bodygroom is, to put it bluntly, the best trimmer for your balls. Its dual-sided design means you can get a super close shave with to foil head or do a bit of hedge clipping with the trimmer end. The foil side has rounded tips to keep nicks and cuts at bay, which makes it perfect for work below the belt. It also pivots in four directions, meaning you can get all the contours you need.
The trimmer end is also helpful in the lower reaches. Its five setting lengths, from 1/8” to 7/16” give you plenty of control over hair length.
How do you keep that trimmer working? A rechargeable lithium-ion battery with an 80-minute run time and a one-hour charge means you can take care of all your clipping needs. It’s also water-resistant, meaning you can take it in the shower for easy cleanup.
You don’t have to use it on your balls either. The 2-in-1 nature of the device and its compact size means you can travel with it and use it anywhere. The package comes with a replacement blade and travel case, as well as a two-year warranty.
- Omni-directional foil head makes for comfortable trimming
- Long battery life and short charge time are ideal
- Two-year warranty
- Cannot be used while charging
- Small head not great for larger areas
What You Need To Know
2. Most Affordable (Cheap) Body Trimmer: Remington PG525 Body Trimmer
If you’re budget-minded but still want to ensure you get a body trimmer that can get the job done, look no further than the Remington PG525. This unit can cut any hair on the body, with its nine – you read that right…9! – attachments.
There are specific attachments for the nose and ears – the longer trimmer with small blades allows for easy trimming. If you’re looking to trim facial hair, the Remington comes with several beard lengths as well as a clean shave and stubble.
The PG525 also covers body hair well, and it works great on the chest and the groin. This is also an excellent option for your balls. The blades are made from self-sharpening surgical steel, formed to a single cutting edge. And, at under $30, the Remington PG525 is a cost-effective, high ROI product.
A single device with multiple options clears your bathroom vanity, eliminating the need for lots of gadgets. Additionally, the single device lowers e-waste and, with a 70-minute runtime battery and a waterproof enclosure, you can take it anywhere.
The Remington comes with a two-year warranty as well. A note of caution – if you spend a lot of time outside the US, this trimmer isn’t for you. It doesn’t work internationally as it only operates on 120-volt circuits.
- A single device, multiple uses
- Great price
- Only 120 volts
- Shorter run time than some other trimmers
What You Need To Know
3. Best For General Use: Braun Multi Groom Kit For Body
If you’re the kind of guy that likes to have one device for absolutely everything, the Braun Multigroom Kit is for you. It works on all types of body hair, including the nose, ear, facial, body, and even head. With 14 different length settings and dedicated attachments for the nose and ear hair, you really can’t get a general use trimmer any better than the Braun. This beautifully German-designed kit also includes a foil head for those clean shaves and, if you’re a man that wants a smooth shave in certain areas, it consists of a Gillette Fusion5 ProGlide razor as well. The Flexball technology conforms to even the most contoured regions.
Lithium-ion batteries give you 60 minutes of power on a 60-minute charge. Better still, the Braun is 100% waterproof, meaning you can take it into the tub. The price is also in the moderate range and includes a carrying case and hard bristled brush for cleaning along with a two-year review.
- 100% waterproof
- Moderate price for a quality product
- Multiple heads for varied lengths
- Relatively short run time
- Lack of settings on the unit – head change only
What You Need To Know
4. Best Electric Back Shaver: Mangroomer Back Shaver
This is one of the neater inventions we’ve ever seen. The Mangroomer is specifically designed to trim your back hair. Its super-wide head (1.8”) makes quick and efficient work of the area. When fully opened, the Mangroomer extends to two feet. This length helps you reach all the hair by yourself. The handle even locks into place to make things easier.
The Mangroomer comes with two attachment heads, a trimmer head, and a foil blade that allows for close cuts. It also has a unique battery technology – when you receive the unit, it needs 48 hours to charge. Afterward, however, it is designed to stay charged for an extended period. The idea behind this long charge batter is to provide the power to cut through all types of hair.
If it’s working for your back, don’t be afraid to use it elsewhere too. It’s recommended for the chest, stomach, and shoulders. It’s best to keep this 1.8″ blade away from delicate, contoured areas.
- Innovative design allows you to do the work yourself
- Long-lasting battery
- Two trimmer heads for selection
- Long initial charge time
- Could be unwieldy – practice makes perfect
What You Need To Know
5. Best Chest Trimmer: Panasonic Electric Body Hair Trimmer
Shaving your chest and pubic area can be difficult with all the contours the two regions have. The Panasonic Electric Body Hair Trimmer attacks both areas well and has enough oomph to get through even the most healthy hair. It offers three attachments and a V-shaped trimmer head for hard-to-reach areas as well as pecks and armpits, which require a bit of finesse. The rounded blades also offer gentle grooming, which means you can use the product below the belt.
The big selling point here is that it’s completely waterproof. Take it into the shower or tub with you and make cleanup a breeze. Its size is also great to keep in your gym bag or Dopp kit when traveling, and the two-year warranty gives you peace of mind.
It does, however, come packed with a Nimh battery that requires an eight-hour charge cycle and can only run for 40 minutes. This is a significant drawback. You also can’t use it while charging and can’t use the device while it’s plugged in.
- V-trimmer allows for easy trimming of contoured areas
- Easy cleanup
- Completely waterproof
- Very long charge cycle and short run time
- It can’t be used while charging or internationally
What You Need To Know
5 Tips for Finding the Perfect Body Hair Trimmer
1. Intended Use
Look for the following features for specific areas of your body:
- Back: To trim your back hair, make sure that the trimmer includes an extended handle. Typically this is a slip-on attachment so you can trim those hard-to-reach areas.
- Genitals: No beating around the bush here – make sure the attachment comb used for trimming this area has rounded tips, so it doesn’t poke the skin.
- Facial Hair: As is the case with most beard trimmers, make sure the body trimmer has several length settings so you can go between a designer stubble to a moderate-length beard.
- Chest: Virtually all body hair trimmers are designed for chest use. The only important part here is to make sure there are a few different attachment combs included so you can cut the hair to varying lengths.
2. Waterproof Design
Buying a body trimmer with a waterproof design allows you to use it in the shower. Unfortunately, using a trimmer in the shower doesn’t perform nearly as well as a dry shave. However, you don’t have to worry about clean up.
Additionally, a waterproof trimmer is easy to clean after each use as you can simply rinse the head under running water to clear the blade of any debris.
3. Trimmer Blades
Companies use a variety of cutting blades for their trimmers; here’s what the differences are:
- Stainless Steel: One of the most durable metal alloys, stainless steel will not rust or corrode and is ideal for wet shaving.
- Carbon Steel: Stronger and harder than stainless steel, carbon steel is often found in contour blades and trimmers. While sharp, this blade will rust with time. So use it as a dry trimmer only.
- Titanium: This metal is exceptionally durable and should hold an edge for much longer than steel. Titanium blades are often found on smaller and manual body trimmers.
4. Battery Technology
Body trimmers will either use a Nickel-metal Hydride (NiMH) or Lithium-Ion (Li-ion) battery. Here are their key differences:
- NiMH: This is an older and cheaper rechargeable battery technology. It takes about four hours to charge and will, on average, only run for about 45 minutes.
- Li-ion: Quick charging (less than 45 min) and a run time of 90 minutes. Trimmers with these batteries tend to cost a little bit more.
There are a lot of knock-off brands that are prevalent in large online marketplaces. These no-name brands are set up for only a few months to make a quick buck and then close down. Unfortunately, these trimmers are not well-tested and will often break after a year of use.
Established brands built their reputation by delivering well-made products for several years. Additionally, they also offer limited warranties if the trimmer is faulty. Here are a few trusted brands to consider:
- Philips Norelco