Biotin deficiency in men can lead to the thinning of hair on both the top of the head and throughout their entire body (source). Therefore, men who may be lacking in this essential vitamin may consider a targeted solution such as a biotin shampoo to help build volume to their thinning hair follicles.
In this guide, we not only review the best biotin shampoos currently available but also share with you some key considerations and warning signs you will want to look out for when buying a new biotin-based shampoo.
In addition to our expert reviews, we also will be answering a few common questions about biotin shampoos.
The 8 Best Biotin Shampoos
- Paraben-free, sulfate-free, and petroleum-free
- Contains biotin, saw palmetto, loquat fruit extract
- Lightweight formula designed for thin hair
Recommended For: Anyone looking for a quality shampoo with biotin that will help slow hair loss and spur hair growth.
Sold in high-end hair studios across the country, R+Co is a premium shampoo brand that delivers salon-quality results. If you want to get the absolute best biotin shampoo and don’t mind spending a premium doing so, then it won’t get any better than this shampoo. Here’s why we think this is a top-notch shampoo to incorporate into your hair care routine:
- Designed for thin and fine hair follicles
Men who are looking to build volume in their thinning hairline will love all the volumizing ingredients added to this bottle. Containing a variety of extracts and vitamins including biotin, pro-vitamin B5, saw palmetto, coconut oil, and loquat fruit extract, you have a natural solution that gradually adds volume with continued use. While the volumizing properties are the main reason you would buy this shampoo, also worth noting is the cleansing properties.
By gently lifting dirt and oils away from your scalp, it does a great job of nourishing the scalp while also reducing your chance of inflammation or dandruff thanks to the gentle formula.
- Ingredients designed to spur hair growth
While building volume is great for naturally thin hair, the inclusion of pro-vitamin B5 and saw palmetto (sereona repens) should help in accelerating hair growth. As covered in a recent study on the NIH website, sereona repens was found to promote hair growth and regeneration (source).
- Socially responsible company provides peace of mind
For those men who are wary of buying a mass-produced shampoo as they are often full of colorants, tested on animals, etc., you will be happy to learn that the R+Co bucks the trend here. This Dallas Biotin Thickening Shampoo is paraben-free, cruelty-free, and petroleum oil-free. Furthermore, for those men with severe allergies, this shampoo is gluten-free and vegan.
- Pricey shampoo isn’t for the faint of heart
If you want salon-quality hair every day, then expect to pay a premium. While most products are priced at about $10 for an 8.5oz bottle, this commands double that.
- Barbershop quality results in a potent formula
- Absent of any preservatives
- Users loved the natural fragrances
- Expensive choice
What You Need To Know
- Sold individually and as a set of shampoo and conditioner
- Contains biotin and collagen
- Hydrolyzed wheat proteins strengthen follicles
Recommended For: Men who want to fix their hair by adding volume, nourishment, and strength.
One of the most popular biotin shampoos for hair growth will be the OGX Thick & Full Biotin Collagen Shampoo. There’s a lot to love in this offering from Organix:
- The targeted solution helps build volume
What does this mean for you? A targeted solution that will not only build volume for your hair through the inclusion of biotin and collagen but also a conditioner that will decrease dryness and brittle hair follicles through the use of moisturizing agents.
While the bottles aren’t travel-friendly (13 oz), they are fairly affordable.
- Widely distributed
Available at several online retailers and local retail locations (Ulta, Walmart, Target, Walgreens), Organix Thick & Full Biotin Shampoo will be easy to find when you need to restock.
- Works great for both men and women
- Biotin + collagen combination is effective
- Widely available
- Not travel friendly
What You Need To Know
- Contains biotin, jojoba, coconut, and other vital ingredients
- Made in the USA
- Sulfate-free, paraben-free, cruelty-free
Recommended For: Men who want a mostly natural formula that will work to strengthen hair and reduce dandruff.
If you have a thinning hairline and are looking to bulk or thicken your hair strands, then this biotin shampoo by Maple Holistics can be a great fit for you.
- High concentration of natural ingredients
Relying on a blend of natural ingredients including coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, evening primrose oil, keratin, and of course, biotin, this formula is the perfect combination for those looking for a nearly all-natural solution (96% of the formula contains these ingredients), that doesn’t rely on harsh and irritating chemicals.
- Money-back guarantee
What we liked about this shampoo is that Maple Holistics stands by its product. While the results shared by other men have been convincing, should you not experience the same, you can get a full refund on your purchase.
- Works against dandruff
Men who are experiencing dandruff with their current shampoo will be happy to learn that this shampoo has not only been formulated for hair growth but also dandruff control as well. They can achieve this through the inclusion of tea tree oil which is a natural anti-fungal.
- Size options available
While a travel-friendly size isn’t currently produced, Maple Holistics sells this shampoo in 8oz and 16oz sizes. So if you want to just give this shampoo a test drive, opt for the smaller size.
- Nearly all-natural solution to thicken and volumize hair
- The money-back-guarantee provides peace of mind
- Consumer reviews have been largely positive
- For a shampoo, it’s a bit pricey
What You Need To Know
- A unique compound of biotin, collagen, and caffeine
- Works in several stages for volume and hair growth
- Herbal scent is well received
Recommended For: Anyone who is focusing on building both volume and strength while also trying to save some money.
Claimed to be used on more Hollywood Film & TV Sets than any other shampoo brand is both bold and noteworthy from Hask.
- 3 main ingredients do the heavy lifting
Relying on a blend of several natural ingredients, this unique compound was designed to volumize, strengthen, and fortify your hair. The primary active ingredients within the bottle are biotin, collagen, and caffeine. While biotin and collagen will work hard to add fullness back to your scalp, caffeine is a standout not normally found in many shampoos. Able to increase blood flow, caffeine helps your hair and scalp get the essential nutrients it needs to grow.
- Standout scent
Perhaps the biggest selling point for men wasn’t the results (although they were largely positive), but rather the scent itself. Delivering an invigorating eucalyptus scent, it will smell great when applied to your head daily.
- Clean label
In the eco-revolution, more and more men are deciding to purchase shampoos based on their ingredient label rather than the brand itself. Absent of many suspect ingredients found in the mass-produced brands, Husk is proudly free of sulfates, parabens, phthalates, gluten, and even drying alcohol. And for the animal-loving men out there, this shampoo is also cruelty-free.
- Terrific combo of ingredients
- Trusted and well-reviewed by both men and women
- The invigorating scent smells great
- Repair results may vary
What You Need To Know
- Contains plant-based cleansers
- Contains no SLS
Recommended For: Men looking to improve hair volume through the use of biotin and collagen.
While biotin is an essential vitamin to promote new hair growth, the addition of collagen to a shampoo formula is equally welcomed. Helping to both strengthen your hair follicles as well as your scalp, collagen will restore your locks to make them feel and look their very best. Furthermore, collagen also helps to add a non-greasy and natural-looking shine that will give your hair a more vibrant look.
- Clean ingredient label
Secondly, this shampoo is absent of any dyes or colorants. While the formula is sulfate-free, the lack of colorants ensures that the natural color of the shampoo shouldn’t affect your hair if you dye it regularly.
- Trusted for decades and made in the USA
While many men may not be familiar with the Renpure name, they have been around for over 30 years and make all their products here in the USA.
Furthermore, Renpure is active in the community and giving back. As stated on their website, in 2018 they provided 80,000 personal care items and actively works with the Salvation Army.
- Biotin and collagen combo builds volume
- Made in the USA
- Gives back to their community
- Strong reviews from many
- Does contain synthetic fragrances
What You Need To Know
- Largely natural formula designed to prevent hair loss
- Peppermint oil invigorates scalp
- Works on many hair types
Recommended For: Anyone from thin or curly hair that is looking for a biotin shampoo that can boost volume and spur hair regrowth.
There is a lot to like about this unique biotin shampoo from Mill Creek. Here are some of the noteworthy offerings:
- Natural ingredients for targeted and effective results
While this shampoo does contain a hefty dose of a biotin supplement that will help to give you thicker fuller hair, it’s the other ingredients that are also worth mentioning. With the inclusion of argan oil, panthenol, niacin, folic acid, golden seal extract, wild cherry bark extract, hops extract, and many others, your hair, and scalp will enjoy the natural amino acids that help improve hair strength.
Furthermore, this shampoo also contains peppermint oil. Beyond the invigorating scent, peppermint oil improves scalp circulation that can help with hair regrowth.
- Ph Balanced formula provides consistent results
A shampoo that has been ph-balanced has been carefully made to provide consistent results. While this doesn’t indicate how the shampoo will perform, as a ph balance that is too high or too low can still be ‘ph balanced’, it speaks to careful craftsmanship. Therefore, should you decide to buy this shampoo, you can expect consistency, and many times, quality given the attention to detail.
- Strong customer reviews
We weren’t alone in our assessment of this shampoo. Many of the customer reviews we came across were overly positive. Men often exclaimed that this shampoo had a “pleasant smell” and “rinsed out easily”. Therefore, you should expect similar results when worked on your scalp and hair.
- Ingredients list doesn’t contain harsh chemicals
- Designed to reduce hair loss
- Formulated for a healthy scalp
- Low cost
- Limited availability
What You Need To Know
- Paraben-free, colorant-free, sulfate-free, no phthalates
- Plant-based formula
- Works on all hair types
Recommended For: Men who want to try and build volume for fine or thin hair
Avalon Organics prides itself on making effective formulas through their intense study of botanicals along with modern scientific thinking. It was through this unique intersection of nature and science that so many great products were born. When reviewing this biotin shampoo, here’s what we found out:
- This Shampoo contains a TON of natural and organic ingredients
From aloe vera to saw palmetto, this rich combo of ingredients has everything to build thickness in a thinning hairline. As mentioned earlier, saw palmetto is one of the few natural ingredients that has been found to increase hair growth. When you combine saw palmetto with plant protein and vitamin E, you should expect thickness and strength along the entire hair shaft.
- Quality control unmatched in this industry
When it comes to governing the beauty industry, the government provides very little oversight and leaves the brands to self-disclose however much they want about their products. Naturally, this can cause some distrust, especially when it comes to the hair loss market. To help quell any concerns on quality control, you will be happy to learn that this biotin shampoo carries an NSF/ANSI 305 certification. What does this mean? What you see on the ingredient list is accurate. Furthermore, those disclosed as organic, are organic. It’s an added bit of quality control that we were happy to see.
- How this shampoo improves your hair
While the reasons you are likely buying a shampoo doesn’t have to do with the ingredients and quality control, the important stuff will be the results (or any signs of improvement when it comes to hair loss). We are pleased to share that the results have been positive for both men and women. When used regularly, this shampoo will help to strengthen hair strands while also building volume. Furthermore, all the conditioning agents within this shampoo will help to prevent frizz and provide softness from root to tip.
- Lightweight formula won’t cause build-up
- Absent of synthetic fragrance
- Prevents dryness through moisturizers
- No travel or gym size options
- Some reviews were mixed
What You Need To Know
- Contains natural DHT Blockers
- Designed to add volume and thicken hair
- Works on all hair types
Recommended For: Men who want to fight their genetics with a natural DHT blocking and biotin shampoo for hair growth.
Designed to stimulate hair growth and to prevent breakage, this shampoo by Pure Biology is perfect for those looking to not only strengthen existing hair but to slow down hair loss by blocking DHT. In addition to these key properties, this shampoo is rich in a keratin complex (Amino Kera NPNF Keratin) that helps to revive damaged hair as well.
- Contains a natural alternative to minoxidil
Many men try to avoid minoxidil due to the application and common side effects (i.e. heart palpitations). In this bottle, you will find Procapil, A natural alternative to minoxidil that helps to increase blood flow and target both follicle aging and atrophy. While the claims seem promising, we only found one study on the NIH website that says that the evidence still has yet to be proven when it comes to procapil. Be that as it may, if you are trying to avoid minoxidil and are looking for other options, then this can be worth giving a try.
- Made in the USA
Unfortunately, so many shampoos are made in faraway countries halfway around the world. The problem with this is that quality controls are often lax which can lead to mismeasured ingredients and inconsistent results. Therefore, when a grooming product is made in the USA, it not only sets itself apart from so many others but also brings with it naturally better quality control and shorter shipping times. Therefore, for those who want added peace of mind (and to support your local economy), you will be happy to find that this shampoo is made in the USA. To make the deal even sweeter, Pure Biology makes this shampoo in an FDA Registered Facility.
- DHT Blocker shampoo that has seen great results among men
- Prevents moisture loss by way of rich natural ingredients
- A great alternative to chemical-based shampoos
What You Need To Know
7 Tips on Finding the Best Biotin Shampoo
To make sure that you find the best biotin shampoo to meet your unique needs, take a minute to consider these key features:
1. Hair Concerns
Men looking for a biotin shampoo are likely trying to tackle a concern with their hair. Whether you have thin, dry, or color-treated hair, you will want to keep the following in mind:
Thinning/Thin: The leading reason most men buy a biotin shampoo is because of hair loss. Able to build volume and soften hair, a biotin shampoo designed to strengthen hair will be a great pick for men showing the classic signs of male pattern baldness. It is worth noting that introducing a biotin shampoo into your grooming regimen will take some time to see hair growth and volume results. With most men experiencing a natural shedding process upon starting, expect to see increased hair volume after several weeks to a month of continued use.
Dry/Damaged: Hair that has been abused through continued use of a hairdryer or other hair styling products needs a moisturizing and health-focused shampoo to help accelerate the repair process. To prevent hair breakage and split ends, a biotin-based shampoo will not only fortify and strengthen the entire shaft of the hair follicle, but it will also work to repair the cuticles on the hair shaft as well. Once your cuticles are repaired, they can lay flat and ultimately make your hair look much healthier through a shiny or shimmering appearance.
Color-Treated: Men who regularly color their hair either at their local barbershop or through DIY solutions like Just for Men want to make sure that they treat their hair extra carefully. Biotin is considered safe to use on color-treated hair and will help to restore the natural moisture to your hair and scalp.
2. Ingredients You May Want to Add
While the focus of this guide is on Biotin (vitamin B7), we wanted to share with you a few proven ingredients that help with healthy hair growth:
- Biotin: Found in a variety of protein-rich foods such as eggs, nuts, meats, and leafy vegetables, biotin is necessary for healthy hair growth. However, for those men who are deficient in biotin, having this ingredient within your shampoo will ensure that you set the foundation for healthy hair growth. While this may sound silly, you will want to make sure that the biotin shampoo you purchase contains biotin. Some manufacturers may list vitamin B7 instead. This is the same thing as biotin (source) and will achieve identical results.
- Ketoconazole: Found in many of the top dandruff shampoos to combat pityriasis rosea (a scaly rash), ketoconazole has also been found to increase overall hair density for those follicles that are in the anagen phase of growth. This finding was supported in a recent study that is available on the NIH website.
- Zinc pyrithione: An antibacterial and antifungal ingredient, Zinc pyrithione, also sometimes labeled as pyrithione zinc, is used in anit-dandruff shampoos to treat seborrheic dermatitis. While many of the best biotin shampoos don’t include this potent ingredient, should you have dandruff, you should rotate a shampoo with this ingredient into your weekly grooming routine.
- Saw Palmetto: With 60% of patients seeing “improved” outcomes compared to baseline (source) when it comes to using saw palmetto and hair growth, it’s no wonder that this natural ingredient is finding its way into many of the leading hair growth shampoos. Helping to block dihydrotestosterone (DHT), saw palmetto is great at slowing the progress of androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness).
- Caffeine: While drinking a cup of joe will get you going in the morning, this very same active ingredient found in a biotin shampoo has been found to increase blood circulation to your scalp. With more blood flowing to your scalp, the hair follicles will be able to get the essential nutrients they need to grow.
- Coconut Oil: Containing essential fatty acids, coconut oil is an effective way to improve health and strength of your hair. Coconut oil also plays a key role in scalp and hair health by gently removing buildup of sebum oil.
3. Hair Type
Every man has a unique hair type, therefore it will be best to find a biotin shampoo that matches your natural type. If you have thick hair, but perhaps are experiencing male pattern baldness, you will want to go with a biotin shampoo that doesn’t contain several heavy oils and instead look for a shampoo containing biotin and saw palmetto.
For those men with a thinner hair type, then a shampoo relying on volumizing agents like aloe vera will do wonders in making your hair appear much thicker. Men with a normal hair type should be fine in going with most shampoos.
4. Ingredients You May Want to Avoid
Beyond the inclusion of biotin, there are a few other ingredients you should be aware of when making your purchase. The healthiest shampoos for your scalp and hair should be free of abrasive additives that may cause mild skin irritation.
- Parabens: Found in mass-produced shampoos, parabens act as a preservative to prevent the growth of bacteria when shampoos sit on the shelf for extended periods (source). According to the FDA, parabens have not been conclusively linked to any adverse side effects. However, men who like a clean ingredient list try to avoid parabens when possible. Parabens are easy to spot as they are often added as the suffix of the ingredient (i.e. methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, etc.). Some men with skin conditions such as dermatitis or rosacea have reported that parabens cause some mild skin irritation.
- Sulfates: Sulfates are surfactants that produce thick suds and lather effect in shampoos, giving us great visual feedback that the shampoo is working. While erroneously claimed to be a carcinogen, there are currently no studies that support the link between sulfates and cancer. With that being said, sulfates, when used excessively can cause irritation and dry skin. Therefore, if you decide to buy a hair loss shampoo that contains sulfates, don’t use it excessively. Examples of sulfate ingredients include Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Alkylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate.
- Silicone: Silicone is a tricky ingredient that trips up a lot of people. Silicone is great at providing a slick and slippery texture. However, silicone provides no real skin or hair benefits and is often used instead of pricer natural oils. While silicone can make your hair appear both smooth and shiny, it isn’t in the long run and is just a cover. When used repeatedly, silicone can build up on the scalp and hair roots to ultimately make it look and feel both brittle and dull.
- Excess Oils: Men with naturally oily or thick hair will want to look for an oil-free shampoo. Adding more oils to your hair repeatedly can cause it to look greasy. While they are great moisturizers for both skin and hair, try to avoid common oils like jojoba, argan, pumpkin seed, grapeseed seed, and others.
5. Bottle Size
Shampoo bottles come in all shapes and sizes. Many of the leading brands offer their shampoos in multiple sizes making it easy to have one for travel or gym use and one for home. If you are happy with a particular shampoo or have had positive results in the past, larger bottles will provide greater savings.
If you are looking for a travel bottle, make sure it’s under the TSA required 3.4 oz so you don’t have to check your bag at the airport.
Based on our research, we found the following biotin shampoo brands to be the most popular and trusted with men:
|Maple Holistics||2001||Farmingdale, New Jersey, USA|
|Renpure||2008||Vaughan, Ontario, CA|
|Avalon Natural Products||1989||Petaluma, California, USA|
|R+Co||2014||Miami, FL, USA|
|OGX||2006||Clearwater, FL, USA|
|Hask||2012||New York, NY, USA|
The price you should expect to pay for a biotin shampoo varies. However, we found the general price range to be between $5 and $40 per bottle. High-priced biotin shampoos are often from designer houses and feature a clean and pure ingredient list. Cheap biotin shampoos contain fewer ingredients and may rely on low-priced filler ingredients. Bottle size also has an impact on the price as well.
Many biotin shampoos are very similar to one another, however, here are a few things that set them apart from one another:
Socially Responsible Brands: If you ever wanted to vote with your wallet, then this is a good opportunity. A variety of shampoo brands take on socially responsible initiatives. Whether it’s through cruelty-free research and development, relying on natural and organic ingredients, sustainable packaging measures, or simply made in the United States, chances are that you will find a shampoo that supports your values.
2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner: With men constantly adding new steps to their total grooming regimen, it is welcomed when a product can make things simpler. As highlighted in our reviews, some shampoos also act as a conditioner. Not only will this save time, but the added conditioner can help to make your hair look and feel healthy through increased moisture. Men with thick and oily hair may want to avoid these compounds as they may cause buildup on the scalp.
Additional Vitamins: You will find that many shampoos have additional vitamins and minerals to increase the strength and health of your hair. Common ingredients that are often paired with a biotin shampoo include collagen to increase volume, Vitamin E for overall skin and hair health, and Vitamin B5 to increase moisture and shine.
Money-Back Guarantee: It’s always great when a company stands by their product, especially if you find the results lacking. Therefore, if you want to make sure you don’t waste your hard-earned cash, check what the return terms are before purchase.
Biotin Shampoo FAQs
Is biotin shampoo helpful?
This shampoo can be helpful for some men who may be deficient in biotin (vitamin B7). In addition to biotin, many shampoos reviewed also include other volumizing and hair strengthening components that may make a difference in how your hair grows.
Will biotin help my hair grow?
Biotin is a vital vitamin for hair growth. Whether or not it will help your hair growth depends on your diet, skin, and hair health. Some men find that these shampoos can be a great treatment for a shedding scalp, while others may not see any marked improvements.
Should I use biotin shampoo every day?
Unless stated otherwise, like many off-the-shelf shampoos, you should have no problem using this type of shampoo daily.
What is the best shampoo for hair loss?
The perfect shampoo for hair loss is one that contains a careful balance of proven ingredients that add volume and foster new growth. As covered in this guide, there are many natural and chemical-based ingredients that help to slow down or reverse hair loss.
Can hair grow back after thinning?
If the roots of the hair follicle have died, then it won’t be possible to regrow hair. Products like Rogain (active ingredient minoxidil) work by enlarging existing follicles and stretching the growth stage (anagen phase) of the hair follicle.
What does a certain shampoo ingredient do?
When it comes to figuring out why an ingredient was included in shampoo, you shouldn’t need a degree in chemistry to try and make sense of it all. As we researched various shampoos, some head-scratching ingredients we came across included cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoyl glutamate, glyceryl caprylate, sodium lauroamphoacetate, and our personal favorite sodium methyl cocoyl taurat. If you want to know if an ingredient is safe, or if you want to simply want to know what it does, we highly recommend heading over to the Environmental Working Group website.
They do a great job explaining complex ingredients in detail and their key role.
What are the four hair growth phases?
Human hair goes through four stages of hair growth: anagen (growing), catagen (transition), telogen (resting), and exogen (shedding). Each stage varies in duration and to make matters more complicated, each hair on your head may be at any one of these phases.
What shampoos are bad for your hair?
To find out which shampoos you should avoid using on your hair, we recommend that you check out the Environmental Working Group (EWG), a non-profit organization that rates the impact of products within the beauty industry, for their detailed list of bad shampoos.
Shawn Burns is the founder and senior editor of Tools of Men. He started this site with the goal of teaching men proper grooming habits and sensible style. Shawn’s expertise includes in-depth product reviews and how-to articles. Shawn was recently featured in the Wall Street Journal for his expertise.